For week 2 of our Healthy Eating Challenge, I put together this Deep Dish Breakfast Fritatta. It's full of veggies, it's satifying, and it's easy to put together! All of my favorite things in one meal. It's also Gluten-Free, Paleo, and Vegetarian. Hubs came home from work for lunch just because I made this...in which case, I might be making it more often!
This dish is great because you can use any number of veggie combinations...which makes it perfect for clean-out-the-fridge-day. Any of these veggies can be adjusted to suit your taste or whatever you have on-hand!
Deep Dish Breakfast Fritatta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 10 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste (freshly ground)
- In a large skillet (cast iron or non-stick), saute mushrooms in 2 batches in about 1/2 T coconut oil (for each batch). Set aside.
- Add more coconut oil and saute the onions and peppers.
- Add spinach and stir a few times to wilt it.
- Add the mushrooms, sweet potatoes and tomatoes.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until they come together.
- Reduce heat to low and pour eggs over the veggies.
- Cover and let cook until the eggs are just set (mine probably went for 10 or 15 minutes, keep an eye on it).
- Transfer to the oven and finish under a low broiler for 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven. Hubs ate his hot out of the pan. I'm eating mine cold. Right now. As I type this.
HERE for super easy baking instructions.
*If your oven doesn't have a Low broil setting, check it after one minute.
*Sometimes when I make omelets I will whisk some cumin or Tobasco in with the eggs. That would be delicious in this frittata.
Check out these other great recipes from week 2!
Almond Milk - Rick•a•bam•boo | Chocolate Almond and Cherry Amaranth Cookies - Clarks Condensed | Chicken Avocado Sandwich - Life as Mrs Larson | Light and Easy Fish Tacos - Keep it Simple, Sweetie | Blackberry Ginger Chocolate Chip Muffins - Cooking with Curls | Asian Marinated Pork Chops - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks | Deconstructed Fresh Spring Roll Bowl - Je suis alimentageuse | Broccoli Quinoa Casserole - Yummy Healthy Easy | Roasted Asparagus Skinny Guacamole - Everyday Southwest | Raw Vegan Fudgy Bars (Gluten-Free, V) - Wallflour Girl (Ala) | Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon - Delightful E Made | Pineapple Raspberry Green Smoothie - Project Domestication | Sun Dried Tomato and Cheese Stuffed Chicken - Yours And Mine Are Ours | Caramelized Banana Pecan Paleo Ice Cream Recipe - My Natural Family | Garlic and Rosemary Mashed Cauliflower - My Daylights