If you are looking for an easy, refreshing, delicious and healthy treat this summer, try this watermelon granita. It's really just a fancy fruit slushie, which means kids like it as much as adults! We had our 94 year old great grandma over for Sunday dinner, and she told me me three times how good this was. And I sent some home with my sister because she loved how light and refreshing and delicious it was. This watermelon granita is perfect for a BBQ because you can make it ahead of time, and just forget about it until it's time to eat!
My kids were SO excited to help scrape it into slushie bits of ice. They went to town on it with a couple of forks and didn't stop until it was perfectly
- 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup truvia
- Add all ingredients to a blender, in two batches if necessary. Blend until liquid is smooth.
- Using two 9x13 pans, pour half of the mixture into each pan.
- Place in freezer for 3 hours. Remove and scrape frozen fruit mixture with a spoon or fork. Place back in freezer until ready to eat.
- Enjoy on a hot day!
*If you use a seeded watermelon, lightly blend watermelon first and then strain to remove seeds. Return to blender and continue with recipe.
*If you use one pan instead of two, it will take longer to freeze. Scrape with a fork or spoon after three hours, then return it to the freezer for 2 more hours and scrape again. Repeat until frozen through and all of it has been scraped into fruity shaved ice.